Wednesday 30 November 2022

Hoolies And Hooligans

 “’Twas a stark nightie dorm,” to quote that famous book about the horrors of a girls’ orphanage.

No, wait, I have that wrong, don’t I? There was no such book.

“’Twas a dark and stormy night.” Yes, that’s the one I actually wanted.

Well, it’s not exactly true… but it is certainly a windy night here in the forest. “Blowin’ a hoolie,” as I believe the local expression is. So far the minicruiser remains fairly stable, and in fact the wind is quite welcome because it’s removed the growing number of leaves that had drifted onto the top of the cloaking field. Too many more of those and I would have had to perform a rolling manoeuvre to ditch them. A small handful of leaves unsupported by twigs near the treetops would go unnoticed, but there were getting to be more than a handful, and I don’t want anyone to detect my presence.

Talking of my presence being detected, I’ve already moved the ship once. That forestry vehicle I mentioned in my last update got a little too close for comfort. I admit I hadn’t noticed that there was a track in the area and was alarmed to see how close it came. An hour later when the coast was clear, I moved up the side of the mountain a little, staying below the treeline. That’s probably why it’s so windy.

The underground base is proceeding pretty well, though much more slowly than I would have hoped. I’m unsure whether this is due to my being chilled out from all that meditation or whether it’s a side effect of grief at losing Jalaa. Either way, my heart’s not quite in it. Perhaps I should go and destroy something with my quantum field disruptor. The trouble is, there’s nothing here that deserves it.

I’ve been watching the internet traffic. It seems that lots of you are angry a lot of the time, so not much change there. Looking at what’s been going on, I can’t really blame you. It seems there’s one human in particular who’s currently the focus of a lot of rage, and I must admit he does seem to be a bit of a Qwazhoog. (“Quazhoog” (n) – a delicacy eaten only on the planet Frexigg, made chiefly from an organ of the same name belonging to a Grrugglil, said organ doubling as both ovipositor and anus.)

Tell you what, when I get my equipment properly configured and I’ve settled in, maybe I’ll deploy a few hundred drones to police Low Earth Orbit, hack into a certain set of satellites and modify the firmware so that a certain social media site is suddenly blocked on every router. Sound like fun?

To pass the time when I’m resting in the evenings, I’ve been trying a few anagrams. “Quantum Field Disruptor” yields “quadrupled if strontium”, which is quite interesting – perhaps I should review the materials I used, just in case. Then again, it also yields “Trump squared into fluid”. That gives me an idea for a soup…


No comments:

Post a Comment