Saturday 31 December 2022

Orkney

Fàilte, agus slàinte mhath, my loyal readers. I am still in Orkney. I thought that by this time I would have ended up in Iceland, but something about the north coast of Scotland and Orkney itself has kept me here a while longer. The emptiness speaks to me, somehow. Perhaps I just needed some more time wandering the wastes while I recover from the events of last year.

I had a quick look around John O’ Groats, but there wasn’t a lot going on, and the sea was calling to me, so I hopped over to Stromness and hid the cloaked minicruiser carefully in plain sight. I’m not saying where, since I haven’t left yet and I don’t want any of you lot snooping about trying to find me and make me sign your tee shirts. Oh, wait - I haven’t made any tee shirts for you to buy yet, have I? Oh well, merchandise is for later when I finally get bored, I guess.

Orkney feels like what it is: an island community. Stromness Pier is full of local atmosphere. There are ferries, lifeboats and other vessels, dockside trade, tourism, hotels… all the stuff you encounter at any other sea town, only packed into a smaller space. There’s an arts centre, and also a gallery. But what I really wanted to see was the Ring of Brodgar and the Standing Stones of Stenness. I suspected that they might be part of a Gorpulonian comms hub. I’ve had a quick look and I’m still not entirely sure. I think I need more research. In the mean time, I’ve grown quite used to the local beer and have befriended a local retired couple who think I’m here researching marine wildlife. It’s a decent enough cover story, although I have to be careful not to let them introduce me to anyone who actually knows the subject, or I could get into deep water. Haha.

That’s all for now. Depending on what I find out about the stones, I may or may not end up in Iceland by next week. Hope you’re all enjoying the weather. It’s been a mite windy here! And… Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment