Saturday 4 February 2023

A Break in the Country

Hail, humans! I thought I should give you an update, as it’s that day of the week again. But the sad truth of the matter is that I’m still not really any closer to finding out who stole my ship.

I’ll be staying with my publisher, Mike, for a while. In the end I gave up trying to use my brain to break into my own brain-proof hideout and did the sensible thing: I got a message to Mike and he came and picked me up. His spare room is small but comfortable, despite the time lapse motion control gear and photographic stuff cluttering most of the surfaces. He also keeps good whisky, of which I approve.

I’ve been spending a lot of time online, trying to trace any hints in the newsfeeds that might alert me to an answer. Who stole my ship? What’s going on with that artefact in my vault? Why is my power still down? It’s frustrating, this feeling of powerlessness. I suppose I sometimes forget that my resourcefulness often depends on technology. Also, I have to be honest, all that time I spent in space with Jalaa had made me less sharp-witted and more contented – I’m simply not used to solving mysteries and scadding about having adventures any more. I need to rectify that because I had forgotten how much fun it was!

But first… I need my ship back. And it occurred to me today that perhaps the best thing to do is wait it out. Eventually, whoever stole it is likely to make a move and reveal their location, although I honestly have no idea what I’m going to try to do when that happens.

In the mean time, I’m enjoying the change of lifestyle because novelty is my thing. Mike lives in a rural area and there’s plenty of wildlife to watch. Sometimes we get visits from pheasants. It seems to be on the same days that I can hear shotguns across the valley, and I’m starting to wonder whether they’re really as stupid as they look. For the avoidance of doubt: I mean the pheasants, not the shooters.

That’s about it for now. I have to go, as I seem to have picked up a really weak signal of some sort on my multitool. It’s probably nothing, but I should check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment