Tuesday 28 June 2011

Hoot Friend and Enter


   I meant to write this up yesterday, but ended up rather busy with my instruments because there was more evidence of space traffic. Something is definitely going on out there! Well, I'm sure it will all become clear soon what the game is. I just hope it's something quick and relatively harmless. Perhaps I should begin constructing a short-range wormhole, just in case...

   Well, it seems that my penchant for the more "down to Earth" type of adventure has been frustrated. This weekend just gone, I crept out in the quiet hours and shinned up the tree to have a look at this door that the landlord had reported. At first I thought it wasn't there, and that he had either lied or imagined it, but that seemed out of character somehow; so I continued with a careful and methodical search. I was scrutinised by a rather irritable tawny owl, who probably wanted to kick me out of the tree but lacked sufficient shoe size - not to mention mass.

   The door finally revealed itself as I glanced sidelong at the part of the trunk just below the branch where the landlord had been perched. It was a very faint and subtle outline, and I marvelled that he had spotted it in daylight. I began to fumble about, feeling foolish; but neither hinge nor handle was apparent. I did a scan with a pocket sonic, and oddly there seemed to be no cavity behind the piece of bark I was examining. That clinched it - someone must be having a laugh. Odd kind of joke to play, though - placing a fake door on a tree trunk, but high off the ground and so faint that it could barely be seen at night. I pondered. Somehow I knew that this mystery had not yet played out to its conclusion, but there was not really anything more I could do that night, so I had to drop down to the ground and creep back to the house. Mr. Tawny hooted at my departing back side in derision. I'll get him for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment