Wednesday 22 June 2011

Semaintics


   Well, it's been quite a week! Firstly, the new car turned out to be a hybrid. I knew there was a chance of this, but hadn't bargained for the inconvenient lineage. The reconstructed model is, as far as I can determine, a Reliant/Lexus cross-breed with a trace of Transit van. Somewhat like a toddler, It goes pretty fast but has no rear view mirror and rolls over rather too easily. Next time I'll take more care to choose a set of wheels from a single vehicle.

   Secondly, I was walking in the local hills taking the air yesterday evening and discovered that something was wrong. At first, I couldn't identify the source of my unease; but then I took a good look at the stars, and noticed that they were all slightly too red-shifted. The effect lasted a couple of minutes and then died away. There can really be only one conclusion: someone was using a warp drive in the outer solar system.

   When I got home I checked on the broadband scanner in case there had been any encoded emf transmissions, but it came up blank - it's possible they were using lasers, which would make things much harder for me. I'm not sure what to think at this stage, but I'm not that worried really: granted, the worst case scenario is a fleet of Pyloturican destroyers bent on claiming new territory, but a far more likely explanation is that we're simply the subject of a Local Group Federation stake-out to catch some petty offender who's bolted down a rabbit hole until the heat's off.

   Just in case, I set up a local media scan for unusual incidents. There may be nothing to this, but even if I don't learn anything it's always hilarious watching the false positives! Last time there was a fellow in Texas who claimed to have seen the image of a piece of toast in the face of Jesus in a local painting of the Last Supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment